ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Just for the Groms who dont seem to see the need to wear helmets, I am interested in people answering the following (I would like to make it a poll, but that doesnt seem to be an option).

Please choose from:

• I never wear a helmet and have never hit my head
  • I never wear a helmet and have hit my head
  • I always wear a helmet and have never had a use for it
  • I always wear a helmet and It has saved me
  • I always wear a helmet and It has saved my life

18 months ago my answer would have been:

I never wear a helmet and have hit my head.

After the above, I started wearing a helmet...

Now my answer is:

I always wear a helmet and it has saved my life.

Yep, I headed the warning and it saved my life 6 months later.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always wear a helmet and It has saved me

I fall off, lots.

going down my street taking a toeside corner i got wobbles coming out, smashed into the gutter head first...i was wearing my bucket...the force cracked it open. if i hadnt been wearing it, my mum would be picking scalp and hair off of the gutter. my helmet saved my life.
i always definatly wear a helmet its probably saved me more times than i can count your an  asshole if you don't wear one  
i hit my head badly twice in one week... not wearing a helmet.!!! i think i got myself into a bad habit.. but now i always use it!!! and it has save me from MANY bad headaches!!!!!!!!!
I always wear a helmet and It has saved my life.
Not even a serious speed or gnarly hill or anything. Walking pace, pumping uphill, front foot slipped, spun me around, cracked my helmet as I hit the ground. I wouldn't still be skating without that helmet. Cracked the helmet, prevented a cracked skull. Helmet saved my life.
If I'm just going out on my street (which is a cul de sac) I only get up to speeds of 20-30km/h, but if I'm going out around my suburb and on the main road, I always wear it. I've never hit my head with or without my helmet.

Hey James,

I would not even think about "a quick push to the shops" without a helmet now...... two incidents within about four weeks and my helmet has done itself justice

Here is a post of mine from a Facebook group I am in about someone wanting a "cheap helmet", it happened last Thursday night

"Soz for hijacking your thread Ryan, but this is the scenario from last night on how easy shit can happen, I am not real experienced on a longboard (@ 8 weeks experience). Wasn't confident in running St Georges due to traffic etc, just stuck to the footpath and started footbraking all the way down. 

About half way down I ran over a steel manhole cover that had some water on it, the board slipped and flicked out from under me, my braking foot clipped one of the gaps in the footpath and I pretty much ended up smashing sidewalk superman style

My wrists are sore, I have a pretty big haematoma on my left hip/thigh, road rash on my upper left arm and back and felt headachey and dizzy till I fell asleep last night, I woke up with the same headache this morning

I guess you all know the moral of the story about helmets by now, the other things that saved me from any more serious damage were knee and elbow pads and slide gloves, otherwise there may have been broken bones to boot as well........ at least I am able to laugh about how much of a dick I looked like when I bit it though

Safety gear is cheap when you think of the alternatives :)"

James said:

As people have said, unless its a quick push to the shops or what ever I always have a lid (even on those short skates I usually have a helmet). I have had occasions where it has saved my head and have seen them save others too. I just ware a normal half shell, I've never been fast enough to warrant owning a full face (not yet any way ;) )

farrrr out
just went for a skate while mum was walking the dog
showed mum something... slid out... highsided... head bounced off the concrete.... sooo hard... felt normal when it happened then i just cos the most aching pain.. literally 5 minutes ago
I always wear a helmet and It has saved my life, well not always but the only times i dont is when im riding down to the shops on a flat road. ill even use my helmet in uparks in the city. helmets are the most important peice of safety gear you could get for longboaridng

When I was 12 I smacked my head into a sign going very (very) fast.

I always wear a helmet and It has saved me from brain-damage.

I have a question about helmets:

a fortnight ago I had a stack, broke me thumb :( anyways me helmet has some deep-ish scratches on it.

Is it still safe to use or is it time to get a new lid? cheers.

you should replace your helmet as there might be some cracking in the plastic you cant see.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service