ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

heya,

Really want to get started longboarding.  Anyone have any deck suggestions for a n00b?  I've been knocking around on regular skateboard lately and can push/kick and that's about it.

Have seen a few people suggesting the Earthwing superglider?  I'd mainly be using for wkd fun and commutes.  

Any ideas appreciated. 

thanks

Views: 873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Gabriel Well it really depends on what you want to do with it. Pintails are great for carving and commuting. They're generally flexy and a bit more fun for just riding around on. But a stiff drop through fsm will stay with you as you develop your skills. i think you made the right choice. 

*Yeah that new original freeride is great you know why? cause it uses conventional trucks not their janky s-series ones.

@Sniffles that is quite an assortment of boards there half are top mount and the others are drop through. Top mounts are surfier and more nimble great fun. Drop throughs would tend to feel more stable, and slide better and are generally symmetrical. I would suggest a drop through as its a bit easier to push/foot brake and feels more stable at a bit of speed

tan tien

bustin maestro/mini maestro

comet FSM

That being said I think the carbon mummy is one of the most noob friendly boards out there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD3C2BX2wso flexy, comfotable, wedged at the front keeps your weight forward and makes pushing and braking easier.

Gabriel Tan said:

well because im having the Comet FSM for a wk already. im totally new to longboarding/skateboarding. So just wondering because i dont really see alot of reviews about it. but alot of people mentioned about the sturdiness of it and due to it having some environmentally friendly products, its more prone to being destroyed by humidity. At first i was thinking whether a pintail or a drop through. I heard that pintails are more fun but are abit general. But i prefer the shape of a drop though deck so i got the Comet FSM because i had a good deal from it.

Cheers man! im glad u said i made the right choice. looks like all my researching paid off! however im thinking ahead for my future board :) original longboards really looks good.

Can i say that topmounts are also called pintails?

Cents said:

@Gabriel Well it really depends on what you want to do with it. Pintails are great for carving and commuting. They're generally flexy and a bit more fun for just riding around on. But a stiff drop through fsm will stay with you as you develop your skills. i think you made the right choice. 

*Yeah that new original freeride is great you know why? cause it uses conventional trucks not their janky s-series ones.

@Sniffles that is quite an assortment of boards there half are top mount and the others are drop through. Top mounts are surfier and more nimble great fun. Drop throughs would tend to feel more stable, and slide better and are generally symmetrical. I would suggest a drop through as its a bit easier to push/foot brake and feels more stable at a bit of speed

tan tien

bustin maestro/mini maestro

comet FSM

That being said I think the carbon mummy is one of the most noob friendly boards out there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD3C2BX2wso flexy, comfotable, wedged at the front keeps your weight forward and makes pushing and braking easier.

Gabriel Tan said:

well because im having the Comet FSM for a wk already. im totally new to longboarding/skateboarding. So just wondering because i dont really see alot of reviews about it. but alot of people mentioned about the sturdiness of it and due to it having some environmentally friendly products, its more prone to being destroyed by humidity. At first i was thinking whether a pintail or a drop through. I heard that pintails are more fun but are abit general. But i prefer the shape of a drop though deck so i got the Comet FSM because i had a good deal from it.

Pintail is a shape. Top mounts are not always pintails though many boards have a pintail form even though they don't taper to a point- the shape gives the board better turning characteristics. Before you buy original try out their trucks. Many people don't like them - its a hit or a miss (don't ask me why go and try them). They (the trucks) are also very heavy.

thanks for the explanations cents! 

Cents said:

Pintail is a shape. Top mounts are not always pintails though many boards have a pintail form even though they don't taper to a point- the shape gives the board better turning characteristics. Before you buy original try out their trucks. Many people don't like them - its a hit or a miss (don't ask me why go and try them). They (the trucks) are also very heavy.

@Cents - thanks man. helps a lot.  comparing top mounts / drop throughs now.  

leaning towards tan tien - flex 1. what are your thoughts on a top mount like the earthwing superglider?

i think earthwing superglider is good for beginners and commuters. Heard alot of great reviews about it. Check the link out. Reviews on Superglider. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/EarthWing/superglider.html

Its a top mounts speedboard. Its stiff, it grips, its agile it goes fast.

Look a commuter board can be any deck some do it better than others. If you are willing to learn on a larger top mount by all means. The ride will be more stable (due to the long wheel base) and your carves will be wider and more gentle though as a top mount it will be more agile than a drop board. As someone just learning there nothing wrong with a stiff topmount speedboard (not like you have to take it fast). Stiff decks will last you longer in terms of your growth if you want to progress into sliding/downhill etc like Gabriel's FSM. Flexier boards are easier and more fun to learn on- the flex eats at the turn energy you put into the board making your turns smoother less twitchy like a stiffer board.

P.S Unless you wish to progress into longboard trick boarding I wouldn't get a new tan tien - they are very expensive to only be used as a glorified cruiser.

Nice advice cents! yea my Comet FSM is rather stiff compared to other decks. How does flex reflect the type of longboarding u wanna do? or does it just absorb the bumps and make rides smoother? Are stiff flex more for downhill and sliding? what about soft flex? what is it for?

Tan tien looks awesome man but looks pricey for a beginner to me. U will be heartbroken if ur board hits the pillar or sth. Ouch

Cents said:

Its a top mounts speedboard. Its stiff, it grips, its agile it goes fast.

Look a commuter board can be any deck some do it better than others. If you are willing to learn on a larger top mount by all means. The ride will be more stable (due to the long wheel base) and your carves will be wider and more gentle though as a top mount it will be more agile than a drop board. As someone just learning there nothing wrong with a stiff topmount speedboard (not like you have to take it fast). Stiff decks will last you longer in terms of your growth if you want to progress into sliding/downhill etc like Gabriel's FSM. Flexier boards are easier and more fun to learn on- the flex eats at the turn energy you put into the board making your turns smoother less twitchy like a stiffer board.

P.S Unless you wish to progress into longboard trick boarding I wouldn't get a new tan tien - they are very expensive to only be used as a glorified cruiser.

Stiff decks help you go faster without getting wobbles. you also have more control over your turns. Flexy boards are fun cruisers/dancers/trick boards(not that you can't trick on stiff boards) - the amount of flex is different for each person as you weigh differently not only that you have different tastes. Stiffer boards are better for sliding they generally also have more concave but yes flexy boards absorb more shock and are nicer commuters.

Actually I chose to start longboarding to learn surfing and snowboarding. looks like i made a right choice to longboard!

thnx cents - def need to think about this some more. Don't want to waste cash. Wish they did try b4 u buy ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service