ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

hey guess what, pie is now a NO-GO ZONE! yup thats right, you guys blew it!

BenBro, Gabe and myself were the first to skate that hill well over a year ago, and since then we have taken several crew to this hill. The first only time we have been hassled by coppers there was first time we ever skated it, mainly because we were there for at least 4 hours sessioning the shit out of it, and eventually a copper just happened to drive by. He was cool however, he was just doing his job and politely told us to move on, and that was after a 20 min conversation about downhill skateboarding and how interesting it was.

Luca and i went there yesterday and we didnt even get a chance to get our boards out of the car before a Policeman rocked up on his bike and went ape shit at us, told us he was going to fine us, take our boards, take our phones, take our cameras, take our licenses and throw us in jail. He was one angry copper. Now i know my rights and i know he can't take any of our stuff so to save argument we smiled, nodded and were on our merry way.

Now the thing that pisses me off, is how much of an asshole he was. He was such an asshole not because he was born that way, but because he told us he has gone through this same routine so many times lately, and has stopped more than 4 groups of skaters in the past month! None of the crew who actually skate that hill regularly have been there in a while due to other things like competitions (or injuries) and the first time we actually rock up to OUR LOCAL we get booted before a run... When you skate a road like Pie in the Sky, you need to be as fast as, if not FASTER than the traffic. The hill is not steep, which makes it good for beginners in some sense but then again it is a highway, and there is traffic. If you are slow, and look slow, and holding up traffic people get the shits and call the cops. When there is a group of 3-7 kids rolling down the hill slow as fuck it does not look good at all, and the first thing people do is call the cops.

The sydney boys and myself have been skating at this spot for a long time, and barely get hassled by anyone at all. When we ride, we ride fast, get in, get out and dont get caught. The only people that stop us are the people who are interested in what we are doing and are super stoked. Now that theres so many grommets stinking up the place it has become a hotspot for the police, and the hills is ruined.

So from now on, no one is to go to this hill. If you want to skate it, ask us and we might take you there. But for all those who are keen to start bombing hills and what not, dont just rock up to a highway and think all will be good, coz it wont, and your the sort of people who are ruining it for the rest of us.

Views: 187

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

After reading this, im a bit split in my decisions.

Yes, i agree that slow skaters, will piss people off, and get the cops up there fast as.

But, how some have said that groms should skate with the big guys first, and gain skills. I have started skating smaller hills and also skate SCBS sometimes. Even then, usually only one or two of them will take time out and answer questions, or skate slowwith the groms, and help with technique. The rest fly off ahead to prove how awesome they are. I have nothing against that, but, it seems a slight contradiction to what is being said.

Anyway, im just saying that.....

Before you left i remember skating on linden for a few hours and then being told by police to move because we parked in the wrong area, then heading off to eagle for the first time as eagle was "YOUR" (older guys) spot, myself and many other groms have always had the respect of asking to go to gnarly hills to sesh, but now many groms don't have accsess to cars and we all know that so getting to spots is hard, making the trek out to a spot in restrevor and corner seshing then being hasseled by cops what do we do next? Make the trek all the way home? As groms it's very hard to keep spots fresh and to 'rest' them, telling groms over and over not to skate certain spots as the are "YOUR" spots is one thing but taking action upon it is another, and has the 'older' more 'experienced' members of longboarding in a tight nit community you guys need to put up signs around the place and take some action against us telling us where not to skate and where we can.

Time to stop asking us and tell us where we can and can not skate, thats the only way its going to get through to us 'groms' 

Dani said:

I found that the scene overseas was 100% different to what we have here, especially through Europe. To the point where I am considering migrating permanently to central Europe because my recent travels have shown me my own country in a very different light. The possibility of free rides, races and weekend sessions are far greater anywhere else in the world than Australia. Bureaucratic bullshit, whining residents and pig ignorant police are not normal. Don't ever think for a second that they are because the rest of the world does not run in the same bubble wrapped, prissy, kiss as way that Australia does.  

BJ, if you have been skating this ally for many years and have put a lot of time and effort into keeping the spot low key, local friendly and police free, then yes, it is your spot. I would not skate it without asking first and hopefully being taken out by you. Patrick Switzer was told off by the locals in Switzerland for skating a hill that is a 1 run ONLY hill.He didn't follow the rules and he was told. The rules of etiquette apply to EVERYONE, not just groms. 

Phil, we are all aware that what we do is illegal and a lot of people here are trying to make things easier for the scene in that regard. Roads like Corkscrew have HUGE potential for free ride events and even races but if we piss off the locals and police in that area it will make things a lot harder for us in the future. Not to mention that some of us do race, nationally and internationally and these roads are the only places for us to hone skills that we have to. As was said, groms can session any corner on any normal street.. Videos of riding have been around for years, at least for the 4 years I have been riding a longboard. They have always been a big part of the sport. The thing that has made it harder in the past year is not videos, it is loitering kids in extremely large groups skating the same area constantly. The Adelaide scene is 100% different to what  was when I left the country in February.   

A million times over it has been said that one of the best parts of our sport is the community we are apart of. New kids need to learn about this family we have and respect the wishes of older and more experienced riders. Not because we own the spot but because if they wish to ride with us, learn from us and be friends with us then they will listen to our wishes and keep to spots within their limits until they invited to join sessions. 

Older guys should always take time to ride with the younger or newer people. Not always possible but as often as possible, spread the stoke!

We have done that in Radelaide Lombard. I have said it a few times. If Hayward or Corkscrew get ruined I will not be riding with anyone but Leigh, Mark, Bow and Dre and I will call he cops myself if I find anyone else longboarding my spots. Hope it doesn't come to that and w can invite a few younger fellas out each weekend to ride with us and with car. From what I understand you are a pretty rad skater anyway Laurence, if people are capable of skating spots quietly, quickly and responsibly then go for it! Power to ya!

one of the greatest things to have happened to josh and I is to be "invited" to join a crew skating a hill and learn the way of it all . from Joshes point of view at 15 yrs old , to be respected enough to get to skate the big hills with the pro's is the most important thing in his life , you dont get that by just turning up to a place without asking or being invited . you have to earn respect . thats what the messaging system within the ASRA site is all about , ask about places and when where you could join in , dont help yourself and screw it up for everyone else .

Alex, I and a couple of the other more experienced riders here in Adelaide are planning to start up some "group lessons", in a similar way Gabe did with his "sliding school" idea. that way we can can educate the newcomers in whats right and whats wrong. after all they are kids and learning without any direct guidance is not going to work.

and we aren't talking about smaller "no name" hills, we are talking about the notable hills which will get the heat. they are the hills that groms shouldn't be learning on.

its one thing to get some help riding around the city and smaller areas, but if you need help riding a highway with traffic and crazy motorbike riders who ride the hill crazier than we do, you should NOT be there at all...

and thats exactly why Josh is welcome to skate with us anytime

Lance and Josh (15 yrs) said:

one of the greatest things to have happened to josh and I is to be "invited" to join a crew skating a hill and learn the way of it all . from Joshes point of view at 15 yrs old , to be respected enough to get to skate the big hills with the pro's is the most important thing in his life , you dont get that by just turning up to a place without asking or being invited . you have to earn respect . thats what the messaging system within the ASRA site is all about , ask about places and when where you could join in , dont help yourself and screw it up for everyone else .

Definately. I agree with that. But, the thing is that; yes, Gabes slide school is good, teaches the kids to stop in an emergency. But, when it comes to DH, they have no clue. They get scared and bust out a slide.

I hope that we can get something like that up and running in Sydney in the New  Year......

leighgriffiths said:

Alex, I and a couple of the other more experienced riders here in Adelaide are planning to start up some "group lessons", in a similar way Gabe did with his "sliding school" idea. that way we can can educate the newcomers in whats right and whats wrong. after all they are kids and learning without any direct guidance is not going to work.

and we aren't talking about smaller "no name" hills, we are talking about the notable hills which will get the heat. they are the hills that groms shouldn't be learning on.

Benbro' post wasn't there when I decided to write mine!
Benbro talks about the groms following the eticate. How many grooms do you think actually know about the eticate! Sure, The ones that mix with you guys. But what about the others that don't know you guys.

Jacko said:

hey how bout you take a minute to read the post directly above yours... Benbro raises the issue of ETIQUETTE and respect for the spots, which is why we can now not skate it.

im sure that 40 years ago when u were skating that lane, if a whole bunch of kooks rocked up and messed up the place and kept getting in shit, therefore stopping your chances of skating it, you wouldnt be too impressed either would you?

you know what, i will leave my contact details at the top of the hill... it will read: "I PCTDS and dont you forget it!"

Bernard Robinson (BJ) said:

I used to skate a rad laneway in Lilli Pilli probably 40 fk'n years ago with my friends when skateboards first came out. Does this give me the right to go back and call it my lane and insist that they have to ask me to use it.
Seriously, who is going to ask someone their permission if they can skate a hill. Is your name and contact details at the top of it.
there is no "DH School"... there are people who are ready and smart enough to ride roads with fast moving traffic and flow WITH traffic and there are people who are not. and there are plenty of places to practice before hitting places like Pie. and that is the whole reason for this discussion. go somewhere else first, when your ready, we will shred with u

Alex 'maddog' Shaw said:

Definately. I agree with that. But, the thing is that; yes, Gabes slide school is good, teaches the kids to stop in an emergency. But, when it comes to DH, they have no clue. They get scared and bust out a slide.

I hope that we can get something like that up and running in Sydney in the New  Year......

leighgriffiths said:

"when your ready, we will shred with u"

Thats exactly my point! Yes, groms can hit up the Pump Station, or other places....but without you guys, they just ride,  who knows what they are doing wrong, and when they go out riding, they get reamed out for their style....

Jacko said:

there is no "DH School"... there are people who are ready and smart enough to ride roads with fast moving traffic and flow WITH traffic and there are people who are not. and there are plenty of places to practice before hitting places like Pie. and that is the whole reason for this discussion. go somewhere else first, when your ready, we will shred with u

Alex 'maddog' Shaw said:

leighgriffiths said:

Who gets reamed? Jacko's point is that people need to be able to ride safely, confidently and sensible when riding with fast guys, on main roads and in tight packs. 

In order to be invited to a cliff edge to base jump you need 3000 sky dives under your belt. This is to assure that everyone in the crew knows what they are doing and won't ruin anyone elses day by creating extra risk in an already dangerous sport.

People need to start small in any sport the choose and get basic skills down before they can ride the super gnar roads with the super gnar skaters.

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service