ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Myself, jasper marshall, chris hardy, and james hunt were all skating eagle on the hill a hill which most on here would have heard off, we get pulled over by a police officer and here is the story...

http://www.sapolicenews.com.au/more-news/4642-skateboarders-and-par...

I thought i would share this bullshit arrest and opinions

Tags: adelaide, arrest, court

Views: 3228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dope will. first i will setup up a pre meet with matty then organise a proper meet from there and get yourself and a few others to start with.
w. morph said:

isnt reporting them for"riding recreational devices without due care for other road users" calling them vehicles? i know the road they were on is illegal so why would the cops just report them for that? Some people love abusing power!

Hey Sean and Matty! I m in as well! finnishing exams soon so will have plenty of time to devote to the cause!

Bugs said:

Skateboards aren't classed as vehicles, so this is irrelevant. According to the road rules a skateboarder is basically a pedestrian on a "wheeled recreational device". Some roads are legal to skate on, and others aren't. Roads with a median strip are definitely illegal to skate on. It doesn't matter how you were skating on them.

w. morph said:

some good news on the changing lanes front, in south australia the laws only require you to indicate long enough to signal your intentions to surrounding traffic. that means if there was no traffic in your downhill lane when you were changing lanes you are not required to indicate and therefore are not riding without due care!

You should definitely try to get onto the hack program on triple j.

Riding without due care is a law for wheeled recreational devices. Not just cars. I just hope that cops don't keep trying to pin that on us. We've been going through court for nearly a year because of it. 

Also, cops do as they please. They write their own rules. I'm very surprised that they didn't take all of your boards and helmets too.

Hope this is over for you guys soon!

Right on Sean.

I'll ring you today and we can set this up. Thanks Bro.

Thats bullshit. My dads a cop... and he hates cops that are like that... absolute wankers

blood tyrants.....

we were pulled over the week prior Collingrove at Cork and they were not at all happy. it was however the first time they'd seen us so they only gave us warnings.

they did however say that this month (Nov) is scheduled for a harder crackdown on traffic. apparently they do it every year and she told me that if they caught us in that month, we would be made an example of.

so it sounds like you guys picked the wrong month to get caught. having said that, the cop's actions are still out of line. their hope would be to scare us from skating Eagle, but what they don't realise is that they are just pushing us to ride hills that are far less safe and controlled. we go out of our way to find locations and periods of the day/week that have very minimal risks and all they are doing is forcing us to go against our risk management.

ummmm can you use a downhill longboard in a skate park??? 

yes you can, but that is beside the point lol

Nedly Kennel said:

ummmm can you use a downhill longboard in a skate park??? 

when is the court date? i bet everyone will show up and show their support

Sick Idea. I'm keen

Skittles said:

If one of the guys involved puts together a letter to the police/council, then sends it to everyone on asra, with an email or emails to send it to, we can start sending waves of them, then every week that there is no change, send an email with your first one attached asking if it has been processed. Took me 5 emails and 3 months to get a response from my council, but you eventually get one. It's the only way to change things right now

We have to get past SbA first.

The federal government (ASC) is on record stating that Skate Australia and its $2 subsidiary SbA is the only nationally recognised skate boarding organisation.  That means that Cuzza & Curry's Mountain Dew street & park comps are the only legitimate skateboard sporting events.  

We need associations in all states to add their voice to VSA. Unfortunately typical skateboarder indifference has resulted in SbA already controling QLD, and possibly has established a strong foothold in WA and ACT.

Form or join the state based association, with your short board brothers, affiliate with Victorian Skate Board association(VSA), start lobbying Sport & Recreation SA, and recognise ASRA as the national skateboard racing organisation, and then start lobbying your local member to make the Australian Sports Commission change its position.

Only then will you have a voice loud enough to get roads closed.

This campaign will take years, and effort to get the Federal recognition that downhill needs. 

Alexander said:

the australian government needs to reognise that this is a serious sport and that we are serious about it the ASRA community needs to stand up and fight for our rights to skate

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service